I used to think making raw cakes would be difficult; they often look so extravagant and complex but once you know how, you'll see just how simple it is.
FOR THE FIRST LAYER:
- 7 medjool dates dates (stone-free), soaked for a few minutes in hot water to soften
- 1.5 cup mixed nuts (I recommend hazelnuts, almonds and brazil nuts)
- 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
FOR THE CREAMY SECOND LAYER:
- 1 cup cashew nuts, soaked in water for minimum two hours, or do a quick soak in hot water for 10/20 minutes (as long as possible)
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds, soaked in 3 tbsp almond or soy milk (it will gel-ify)
- 1 cup coconut oil (to be melted)
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- Juice and pulp from one lime
- 1 perfectly ripe medium sized avocado
- 1/2 cup blueberries (optional)
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut, to garnish
- fresh berries, to garnish
- First of all, make sure to soak the cashew nuts and the chia seeds (for the second layer) and the dates (for the first layer).
- Start making the first base layer; place the mixed nuts in the blender and run until you have grainy nut flour. Add the dates (remove the water and the pips), and plant mylk (almond works well) and blend for another few minutes. You might need to stop the blender a couple times to scrape down the sides.
- When you have a fully blended sticky dough, remove it and press it out evenly a spring-form pan, press pan or whatever cake tin you have at home. Place in the freezer while making the second layer.
- For the second layer, melt the coconut oil on low heat in a pot and remove the soaking water from the cashew nuts. Place both in a blender together with the chia gel, maple syrup, lime juice, blueberries and the avocado. Blend on full speed for a few minutes until you have a completely smooth cream.
- Remove from the blender, and pour it into the cake tin to cover the first layer. Spread it out as evenly as possible before putting it back in the freezer for AT LEAST 2 hours. Before serving, garnish with fresh berries and a little shredded coconut.
Step by step video below:
Thank you SO MUCH to The Feel Good Cafe for allowing me to use their space to film. They are a 100% vegan cafè based in Chingford and their food is HEALTHY and plant powered! Go visit them, tell them Hipster Veggie sent you. I'll leave all their details below:
Address: 49 Station Rd, London E4 7BU