What is bromelain?
It is an enzyme typically found in the sweet, juice, golden flesh of PINEAPPLE! (click here for 2 simple pineapple recipes). This super fruit is typically used to give drinks a tropical feel or add a bit of zing to a salad, but above all that it truly is a medicine!
Health benefits of bromelain:
Bromelain is traditionally used in the medical world as a potent anti inflammatory and anti-swelling agent. It also helps to soothe and relax tense, inflamed muscles and connective tissue. When exploring literature, I found that this incredible enzyme can be used to treat the following issues:
- Arthritis and joint pain
- Inflammatory bowel disease
- Sinus infection
- Sore throats/mucus
There are nearly 2000 studies showing the medical benefits of bromelain. Below I have narrowed them down to a few important ones I think may help you all.
1. Digestive disorders:
Bromelain is an enzyme that specifically digests proteins and has been found to help the body digest food and absorb nutrients more efficiently, as well as healing issues in the gastrointestinal tract (GI tract) such as ulcerative colitis, dyspepsia, constipation and Crohn's disease.
2. Allergies & asthma:
The journal "Evidence-Based Complementary and Alternative Medicine" highlighted the results of a study that investigated how bromelain affected MICE with asthma.
The study showed bromelain to reduce allergic reactions and help modulate the entire immune system. It does more than just mask the primary immune response that people with allergies experience (e.g. runny nose, itchy eyes etc.). It can actually prevent allergies by addressing the ROOT cause ... an over-sensitive and hyperactive immune system!
3. Sinus infections
Researchers from the University of Cologne, Germany took 12 patients who already had sinus surgery and treated them with bromelain for 3 months. They found the following benefits:
- Total symptom scores improved
- Overall quality of life was enhanced
- No adverse effects whatsoever were reported
How to get bromelain into the diet:
1. Eating the core of a ripe pineapple is the best way to consume natural sources of the enzyme. The riper the fruit, the softer the core will be so feel free to leave the pineapple on the counter for an extra day or two before eating. (The flesh of the pineapple is also great for you but the core contains more bromelain)
2. Juicing the core of the pineapple. Drink fresh pineapple juice has been shown to be a powerful remedy against inflammatory diseases, as stated earlier. Drinking just over 100g or 4 ounces a day will help prevent digestive issues. Up to 8 ounces a day has been shown to treat illnesses like ulcerative colitis, IBD and constipation.
Bromelain helps prevent blood clots so be VERY careful when consuming extra pineapple (i.e. more than usual) or a bromelain supplement if you are also taking blood thinners.
Be sure to consult your Naturopath or Doctor before using any of these remedies. The information in this article is NOT intended to replace a one-on-one relationship with a qualified health care professional and is not intended as medical advice. It is simply information I feel you all would benefit from knowing. Always research further :)
THANKS FOR READING xxx
Click here to check out my pineapple recipes.